Tuesday, July 28, 2009

T.V. Generation

I grew up watching T.V., hours and hours of it every day and night. I probably spent more time watching T.V. than any other single activity with the possible exception of sleeping. This was even long before the days of hundreds of channels, before there was any sort of selection. I watched T.V. because there (apparently) was nothing else to do. As I grew up and went off to college, I had a host of new responsibilities with course work and homework and lab work and, well, you get the picture. However, I still made time to follow a subset of shows (and let's not forget all those baseball, football, and basketball games) and then veg out in front of the T.V. after I had taken care of all of my responsibilities. After college, work and family matters and real world activities took over more and more and I watched less and less T.V.. Heck, now I can't even think of a single program that I would rearrange my schedule to watch, and that includes the World Series and the Super Bowl. In fact, to give you some basis for understanding how dramatically things have changed since I was a youth, I have not followed a show regularly since Seinfeld went off the air, and this was more than 10 years ago. Every now and then as I am passing by the old set, I could swear I hear a sigh. A sigh of loneliness and change and please come back, but, alas, I keep walking as there (apparently) is something else to do.