Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bee n' Aitch

You called me with the unexpected and shocking news that you were moving away. A new direction in life in a new city. Bee and Aitch, you two have been such an important part of my new life that I felt like I had been punched in the gut when I heard. I couldn't believe it. I had to sit down to keep from tumbling. What began through a structured relationship, blossomed into something more, something personal and special.

Bee became the person who held me accountable as a man and as a Christian. He worked hard, sometimes pushing, sometimes pulling, to keep me from getting too close to the edge, too close to that dark place where I all too often gravitate and settle. I shared with him my deepest sins and my rough spots. He was genuine. He was honest. He was completely accepting. He told me about God and his forgiveness and his love for me. He made time to listen and to encourage. I was important and I mattered and I was valuable.

Aitch invited me and my daughter into her home. Cooking and laughing and sharing and making us feel welcome and important. Teaching me lessons that I needed to learn about people and social interactions and friendship. She was genuine. She was open. Not a burden or an outsider.

I counted the two of you among the great joys in my life. Isn't it obvious that the crossing of our paths was no random happenstance? I am convinced of this and recognize the great blessing that knowing you has been. When I heard the news of your leaving, my first instinct, my first inclination was to get angry. I have only known you for just over a year and already you are being taken from my life. I envisioned us continuing on our journey and our walks together for some time to come. Alas, this is not the plan. God brought you into my life for a reason, and he is taking you from it for a reason. I know you'd both say, "be patient and trust him". It has been an honor to know you and I will not forget our all too brief time together. Peace, love, and blessings to you both, my friends.