Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Lost

I usually have a cache of books that I am reading and a separate list of books waiting in the wings that I plan to read (see my Shelfari list). For the first time in the past 3 years or so, both of these queues are empty and it is getting to me. I have really felt the void during the last couple of days. There are standard times of the day that I look forward to grabbing my book du jour and escaping for some alone time. This might be at lunch time, when I am sitting in traffic, or in the evening after the little one is in bed. I'm used to carrying my books around with me wherever I go. Since I completed my last read, I have been instinctively reaching for my reading material, only to remember that my holster is empty. Argh. I say argh!

I try to keep my ear to the ground for books that have received good reviews or come with strong recommendations from my friends. In fact, nearly all of my favorite books from the past couple of years have been suggestions from others. This is really great as I would not otherwise have known about them or pursued them. So, let me know what I might enjoy or what might challenge me.