Monday, May 25, 2009

Awkward, Awkward

Have you ever had to work closely with someone that you did not want to be near? Perhaps you had a falling out with the person. Perhaps you just didn't care for the other person from the standpoint of their morals, their appearance, their attitude, etc. Perhaps one of you had strong feelings of attraction to the other that weren't reciprocated. Each and every one of these circumstances can be palpably awkward. There can be overcompensation by one or both sides. In fact, the situation might not even be fully recognized by both people. One might be completely comfortable, and the other might be climbing the walls.

I recently was at a conference with someone that I am attracted to, but she does not feel the same way about me. It seemed that no matter where I was in the massive conference venue, that I kept stumbling across this person. Due to circumstances, we even had dinner together one evening. On the one hand I find it best to totally avoid this other person as it keeps my mind at peace and focussed on what it should be focussed on. On the other hand, the appearance of this person at the conference was totally unexpected to me. My mind kept grinding on and on. Was this a sign? An opportunity? Should I pursue this person further? Should my attitude be totally business like? Am I coming across as smart? Funny? Unaffected? Affected? I know that no matter what I tried to do, I just could not be myself. What tricks do you have that work in these situations?