Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Best Books of 2012

At the end of each year I like to look back over the books that I have read. For 2012, I have read about 65 books, entirely dominated by pouring through the catalog of Stephen Lawhead. There were some really good ones that I spent time with. Not only do they keep my mind active, they help me to relax and find some peace. The best books are ones that pull me into another existence entirely and introduce me to new places and people. Intrigue, adventure, fantasy, wisdom, truth. What a great ride! In this post, I share my list of the top 10 "books" for this year in no particular order (actually I could not help myself and listed 11). Note that I use quotations here because I count a series by a given author as just one entry.
  • The Song of Albion series (The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, The Endless Knot), Stephen Lawhead
  • The Martyr's Song series (Heaven's Wager, When Heaven Weeps, Thunder of Heaven), Ted Dekker
  • The Pendragon Cycle series (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail), Stephen Lawhead
  • The Celtic Crusades (The Iron Lance, The Black Rood, The Mystic Rose), Stephen Lawhead
  • The Dragon King series (In the Hall of the Dragon King, The Warlords of Nin, The Sword and the Flame), Stephen Lawhead
  • Where is God When it Hurts?, Philip Yancey
  • Till We Have Faces, C.S. Lewis
  • Byzantium, Stephen Lawhead
  • The Chiveis series (The Sword, The Gift, The Kingdom), Bryan Litfin
  • The Books of Mortals (Forbidden, Mortal), Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee
  • The Dragoneye series (Eon, Eona), Alison Goodman
I have already started to pick out some books for the first part of 2013. If you have any suggestions, send them along and I will check them out. I keep my list of reads current on my Shelfari page.