Saturday, October 3, 2009

Grind My Gears 9

You know what really grinds my gears? How about people or organizations who continue to use Roman numerals when they have clearly already gotten out of hand. Look at the numbering of the Super Bowls. What are we up to, Super Bowl MCXXLDXVIIIXV? What about trying to figure out when a movie was made by looking at the closing credits? More nonsensical gibberish from a numbering system devised by a people who made their warriors march into battle wearing dresses. I can't believe that we have put up with this garbage for this long. I remember when the American population went into full-fledged revolt when the government tried to force us to use the metric system. If you don't remember this period in our history, it is because you are an uneducated lout. Back in the 1970s, the "man" tried to make us learn some clearly comical system of weights and measures. We responded with looting (there is always looting), burning of our bras, empassioned marches (one was called the million man march), and incessant yodeling. The government immediately succumbed to our demands and the silliness was done away with. Why is there not the same outrage over the roman system that is continually being foisted upon us? Is there some really large Roman population in the U.S. that I am not aware of that we would somehow offend? I, for one, am going to take control of my blog and end this nonsense. No more roman numerals. They really grind my gears.