Monday, October 19, 2009

Screwed Rhythms

The alarm clock goes off. I could not think of a more unwelcome, shrill din if I had to. I would rather do anything than get out of my warm, comfortable bed. I missed it while I was away on travel last week. I finally manage to drag myself through the inky, predawn blackness to the shower. The warm spray of water just cannot clear the fog from my mind. On a typical morning, I spend my time in the shower to wake up and start to plan out my activities for the day. However, the obvious difference today is that my body and mind are afflicted by what is medically referred to as desynchronosis, aka jet lag. My circadian rhythms are completely unrhythmical today. The problem is that there is nothing that I can do about this other than to drag my way through the day and hold out as best I can. Today I will certainly be typing on my computer with one hand, as my other hand will be clutched to the cup filled with the dark fluid born from the bean. According to the common lore, relief of my symptoms will take some time. It is said that jet lag recovery crawls at a pace of 1 day per time zone difference. Thus it seems I have a rough week ahead. Thank goodness there is a Starbucks approximately every 28 ft in my town and they provide IV services.