Friday, October 23, 2009

Help Wanted?

I needed someone to check on my house while I was away on travel. The problem that was troubling me was that I felt like I really didn't know anyone well enough to ask them for such a favor. I figured that my best bet would be to approach someone from my church community group. I typed up the email and lingered over the keyboard for quite some while. Somehow I could not bring myself to hit the "send" button. Instead, I went for a walk to the bathroom. I then remembered that I wanted to get a refill on my cup of coffee. I chatted with some folks that I passed in the hallway. Finally, I could not come up with any more excuses to keep me from returning to my computer. I reread my note for the tenth time. All kinds of thoughts ran wild through my mind.
  • I don't know these folks all that well.
  • I haven't known them for very long.
  • I don't want to impose.
  • I don't want to be a bother.
  • I don't want to be someone who comes across as needy or lacking.
I really was working myself up into a lather. Finally, I grew frustrated with myself and sent off my plea for help. I took a moment to gather my thoughts and calm down. Just a few minutes later I received a reply that my friends were happy to help, no big deal, no major imposition. Ultimately, I really felt like a fool for worrying and fretting so long. Part of the purpose of community group is to be available to help the others in our group. I know that I would have done the same for them without a second thought. Why is it that we are so willing to help others that ask for it, but are unwilling or reluctant to ask for help when we need it?