Tuesday, July 28, 2015

iTunes Latest - 28

I have been a user of iTunes since 2011. This service has allowed me to bring music back into my world and to reconnect with so many great songs from my past and to find some great new recent stuff as well. One of the things that I really like about music is how it becomes part of the soundtrack of the different seasons of our lives. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my thoughts on each song.
  • You Make Me Brave - Bethel Music (2015) - This is a song that speaks to me and inspires me ...You call me out beyond the shore into the waves ... A great praise song whose lyrics paint a wonderful and vibrant portrait.
  • How Much is Enough - The Fixx (1991) - Some might think the album Ink is the nadir of this band. However, this tune is spunky and poignant. How much do we need when our horded treasures are already pulling us under and tearing our ship apart? A prototypical song by this band that will have you singing out the chorus before you know it.
  • Ordinary - Honeymoon Suite (2008) - I have been a fan of this band since they hit big in the 80s. They have only had a few releases since then, stretched few and far between. This ballad from their last album is a piece of longing, of not wanting to settle for the usual, the same-old same-old. Man, it has to be out there somewhere, doesn't it?
  • Magic Man - Heart (2012) - Magic Man is a release from the 1970s and it one of the classic rockers from the Wilson sisters. However,
    on their retrospective release Strange Euphoria from a few years ago, they included a demo version of this tune. Wow can Ann Wilson sing and she makes this song all her own. Absolutely stunning.
  • Until the End of Time - Foreigner (1995) - In the late 1970s, this band was one of the biggest in the world. They absolutely dominated FM radio. The market eventually pushed them to the back burner and they struggled to develop a style and maintain an audience. Their lead singer had health problems and had to step away for a time. This song was from the ill-received 1994 album Mr. Moonlight, but is a haunting and lovely gem that holds it own in message, in tune, and in time.