Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Oldies Station

Music was such a big part of my life growing up. I would spent hours each day listening to my small transistor AM radio. I remember looking forward to spending a few hours every Saturday with Casey Kasem's and his American Top 40 program. He would play us through the most popular songs in the country week by week. Nowadays, I rarely listen to the radio any more. I turn it on for my drive into work and listen to one of those "zoo" morning shows that includes no music. My daughter has a small stereo that I bought her, but I don't think that she has ever used it. It sits in her room amassing dust and neglect. I guess that this is part of the change in our culture. The influence of technology. The next step. Listening to the radio has been replaced by Wii or Playstation or XBox or computer games. An explosion of television channels where there are always airings of cartoons or kid shows. I guess that most kids find these outlets more stimulating to their visual minds than sitting around singing to the tunes. I kind of think that this is a bit of a shame. Music can be so uplifting and touching. It can perfectly express our emotions, wherever they happen to appear in the spectrum on any given day, at any given moment. When I hear one of those old songs from my childhood, I am taken away to a different place, if only for a moment.

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away