Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Truth Seeker

I am a truth seeker. A paladin of an ancient sect sworn to uncover and preserve all that humanity has buried over the years. A smith of the light who has been reared to push the heat from the furnace to its fiery limits such that the dross may be separated from the elemental gold that it had contaminated and obscured.

I am a truth seeker. A learned scholar with a wall-full of parchment, trained to unlock the secrets of the universe from the scale of galaxies to the scale of the sub-microscopic. A scientist of the light who has pledged to pursue fact with honor and integrity, trained to form final judgments only after every eventuality has been carefully investigated and considered.

I am a truth seeker, and yet ...

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do ... For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Romans 14-15, 18-20)

Yet, I am still a truth seeker, looking to separate from within myself the wheat from the ever-present chaff.