Wednesday, December 29, 2010

To the Moon ... (and Back)

The book Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney kind of resonated with me when I first read it. It is the story of two forest critters, big nutbrown hare and little nutbrown hare, who are wrapping up their day and getting ready for bed. The daddy and his youngling are talking about the strength of their love for each other. Little nutbrown hare says she loves her daddy this much and spreads her arms out as wide as possible. Big nutbrown hare then replies, but I love you this much and spreads out his much bigger arms as wide as possible. The little one says that she loves her daddy as high as she can hop. The daddy playfully replies that he loves her as high as he can hop, which is high indeed. Finally as little nutbrown hare is drifting off to sleep, she says that she loves her daddy to the moon. He then places a gentle kiss on her forehead as she begins to dream and says that he loves her to the moon and back.

It was only after I became a parent that I truly understood how deep and how wide love can be. This simple expression captures my feelings for my daughter.