Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Non-Essential Personnel

The other day we had a winter snowstorm in the area where I live. The local channels inserted a news-crawl across the bottom of the T.V. screen that provided an up-to-date listing of all schools and businesses that had announced a closing or delay for the next day. I noticed that many businesses had included a statement that the information was for "non-essential" personnel only. In that moment two thoughts ran across my mind. First I am quite sure that many folks that read about their workplace being closed or delayed responded with exhuberant shouts and fist pumps. However, I also thought about how many folks are perfectly content and satisfied to be listed in the category of non-essential personnel. Non-essential, to me, seems to equate to not important or not mission critical. Perhaps it could be expressed as easily replaced if necessary or not missed when not around. Is there anything good associated with someone wearing this label around their neck?

I don't know about you, but where I work, I push myself as hard as I can to get r' done. I try to be reliable, consistent, hard working. I want to be known as having a can-do attitude. I want folks to consider me as essential and relevant and important. I want to be part of the fabric that makes my work place hum along and be successful. It seems to me that if more folks had this attitude about their jobs, then maybe nobody would be labeled as non-essential or worse yet, made to feel as if there were non-essential.