Monday, December 13, 2010

Mindset 7

In the Mindset series I reminisce about some of my favorite memories of my daughter's life when she was younger. I hope that the task of writing these entries will serve me well, and I hope too that you will enjoy going on this trip with me.

Today's journey takes us to visit our favorite pond. For several years my daughter and I used to make regular journeys to the campus of the university where I worked. Near my office was a beautiful little pond with built-in water fountains and large flagstones that criss-crossed several man-made rivulets that fed into the pond. Around the periphery of the pond was a nice brick walking path with sturdy hardwood benches conveniently positioned here and there. This area was frequented by a few mating pairs of ducks, a handful of very shy frogs, and a myriad of small fish. We visited this pond dozens and dozens of times and always found something to fascinate us and wrap up our attention. Sometimes we walked around the pond holding hands and enjoying the scenery, sometimes we just sat on the benches and talked, and sometimes we splashed and played at the edge of the water with sticks and reeds and stalks of grass. Perhaps our favorite activity was follow the leader, where she would plot a course around the pond and I would have to walk where she walked and step on what she stepped on. I love looking at the few photos that I have of her at that pond. A special and cherished time in my heart.