Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Playing Favorites

Way too many times in my life I have run across individuals that are known in the popular vernacular as "bandwagon jumpers". What team just won the big championship game? Oh, they have been their favorites since before they were born. Who just won the Nobel prize in economics? They have read all of their journal articles on game theory. Which company had the highest earnings to capital ratio in the third world? They have owned stock in them before they even went public. There is no use arguing that they have never so much as mentioned any of these teams or papers or companies before. I find it to be a major annoyance even being in the same room with these "individuals". They somehow think that by latching onto the latest winner, they too will somehow be lifted up. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Just to be sure that nobody can accuse me of being a bandwagon jumper, I list some of my favorites below.
  • Favorite baseball team: Boston Red Sox / Atlanta Braves (tie)
  • Favorite comedian: Brian Regan
  • Favorite Olympic curler: Nicole Joraanstad
  • Favorite boy band: Backstreet Boys
  • Favorite band that used to be cool but really no longer is: R.E.M.
  • Favorite basketball team: Boston Celtics
  • Favorite soda: Mountain Dew (the classic taste o' Viking pee!)
  • Favorite daughter: Maddie
  • Favorite cured meat: bacon
  • Favorite field of science: physics
So, there you have it. In the future, when you hear me talking up one of my favorite things and doubt creeps across your mind, please excuse yourself from the conversation, go and consult this list, and then doubt me no more.

Oh, and for the record, my favorite economist is Hubert Q. Peniwhip III.