Friday, June 4, 2010

Finally Manitoba

I work at a facility that regularly hosts visitors from around the globe. I'm used to seeing and interacting with people who look, act, eat, dress, and smell differently than I do. It's just the way it is and my life is enriched for this opportunity. Of course, part of this diverse population includes folks from a great number of our United States and our friends to the far North. I tend to get a kick out of spotting license plates from various places, so I have sort of become conditioned to look for them as I walk from building to building throughout my day.

The other afternoon I spotted a plate that, heretofore, I had never encountered before. Its color palette and scene intrigued me and I lingered just a bit to take it in. I saw a plate framed by majestic pines with a beautiful crystal lake in the middle. I made a mental note of a plate from Manitoba, Canada, and I took a few steps onwards, continuing my journey. My mind then registered a curiousity that caused me to look back. Across the top of the plate I saw the odd statement "Finally Manitoba".

As I went on my way, this statement began to take over my consciousness. It got to the point where I could think of nothing else. "Finally Manitoba"? Is that what folks utter after they have trekked across the rest of that wretched wasteland to our north? Upon arriving in Manitoba, they all exhale deeply and say "Finally, Manitoba!!". First Moosejaw, then Medicine Hat, then Black Tickle, then Spread Eagle, then Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!. Finally, Manitoba!

When I got to my destination, some quarter-mile away, I had to go back and take another look. What I read made no sense. No sense at all. Ahh, the plate actually read "Friendly Manitoba". Oh, that is much better.