Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Bucket List

The Bucket List was a 2007 movie about two men who, by chance, share the same hospital room after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. They form a bond and make a list of things they want to do before they kick the bucket, hence the term bucket list. They then proceed to tackle the list items one by one. The list includes such things as:
  • See Rome;
  • Drive a motorcycle on the Great Wall of China;
  • Spend a week at the Louvre;
  • Go on a safari;
  • Visit the Taj Mahal.
Of course, it just so happens that one of the two men is stinking rich and can fund every one of their wild excursions. However, even with all of contrived pathos and swelling music as only Hollywood can dream up, the men eventually realize all of the items on their list.

For some reason the movie drifted into my consciousness the other day and I spent a few moments pondering my own personal bucket list. Now, I did not view this consideration in a negative or depressing manner, but rather to focus on taking the biggest, juiciest bite out of the apple of life. I kind of even think that without dreams in our life, something to focus on and look forward to, we atrophy and die away. So, without further delay I present a few items from my bucket list:
  • Give my daughter away at her wedding;
  • Find lasting, deep love;
  • Make a few close friends;
  • Have a couple's conversation over coffee wearing a cardigan sweater;
  • Bark less, wag more in this "doggy-doggy" world.
O.K., so I don't have a list of 20 items like the big budget Hollywood movie, but I have a few. Perhaps I will add to it from time to time. What are a few items from your bucket list?