Thursday, January 8, 2009

Eye Speck


Sometimes I have trouble forgiving people for transgressions against me. This is an issue that comes up all too often in my life. I try to pray and then to "give the problem to God". But, it seems, there are times that I don't really know what this means. I think also that my jealous nature takes control of my behavior. People have hurt me deeply at times, they have stolen from me, that have said unfair and untrue words against me, they have betrayed my trust, and they seem to get away with it. They act as if they have done nothing wrong. They are living perfectly at peace and I am torn up inside with a lingering pain and hurt that just won't subside. But God, what about them? When are they going to get their punishment? Why does this always seem to happen to me? What about the evils they have committed? It's nice, in times of inner termoil like these, to really appreciate what scripture has to say.

" Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:3)

"Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, therefore the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil." (Ecclesiastes 8:11)

The rewards or punishments that God deals out are rarely sudden or closely linked in time to the specific action. They are handed down on the day of judgement. So we have no need to waste a single, precious moment of our lives fretting over any issue of judgement or worrying about how unfair the world seems. We simply need to live our lives the best that we can and worry about our own actions. In short, you will get yours in full measure and they will get theirs in full measure. Count on it.