Monday, January 26, 2009

Emil and Piggy Beast

I was driving past the public library the other day and a couple of thoughts ran across my mind. The first is that I rarely go to public libraries. If I want a book for myself or my daughter, I go and purchase it from the bookstore. I think this is mainly because my local library has not purchased a new book for its collection since before the big war. The second thing that ran across my mind is the title of the first book that I can remember checking out of the library with my own library card. I think it was the title that pulled me in. It was called "Emil and Piggy Beast" by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren (who was more famous for her books on Pippi Longstocking). This cute story was published in 1970 and tells the story about a young boy Emil who is always getting into mischief and then having to pay the consequences when he is caught by his parents. However, his punishments become the springboard for new hijinks when he has Piggy Beast to share them with. It's funny the things that stick in our minds over the years. I can tell you the plot lines from every Gilligan's Island or Three's Company episode, but I can't remember for the life of me things that happened last week.