Wednesday, June 12, 2013

iTunes Latest - 12

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Bring Me Some Water - Melissa Etheridge (1988) - This is the only song by Etheridge that I have liked. Bluesy and passionate and bursting with pain that we have all felt. It didn't hurt that she was so beautiful.
  • Saturday Night - Aaron Carter (2005) - I have never been a fan of the trite bubblegum pop that Carter is associated with. However, I liked the groove of this song and it revs me up a bit when it plays on my exercise mix.
  • Here's My Heart - Passion (2013) - I first heart this one from my church's music leader Stephen. His version is better than the original, but this is a nice song.
  • Live is Life - Opus (1985) - I remember how much I loved this song when it came out in the summer after my freshman year in high school. That was nearly 30 years ago, but this reggae infused ode to the necessity of live music for the musician still holds up with time.
  • You and I - Pat Benatar (1993) - As the 1980s came to an end, the queen of pop/rock quickly faded from public consciousness. She tried her hand with a blues album and it didn't do well. When she tried to come back, the public had lost their taste for her work. However, her 1993 album Gravity's Rainbow is an unappreciated work with some good songs that I have recently discovered. This is one of them.