Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hobbes Partner

There is a guy in my group at work whose job it is to provide technical support for whatever projects we are staging or preparing for or tearing down. He has been working at my laboratory for as long as I can remember. He would never be mistaken for a cultured, mannered, or refined gentleman. I know that he has had a pretty hard life with a past checkered by severe emotional and physical abuse. I do not believe that he ever earned a high school diploma. From the car he drives and his lifestyle, you can tell that he doesn't make grand sums of money. To top it all off, he is short and weighs nearly 300 lbs. Yet I consider him a friend, enjoy his company, and have learned much from him over the nearly 20 years that I have known him.

For one thing, he always has a smile on his face and is quick to share his infectious laughter with those around him. He gives his all at work every day, yet he makes time for anyone who has a question or needs something. He is loyal, honest, respectful, and gracious. He doggedly stands up for and looks out for his co-workers and he gives out positive encouragement like Brewster gave away his millions.

From what I have seen, he may not have much, but his life is rich and he gives away what he has. He is not a man of faith, but he openly demonstrates many traits of love and giving that Jesus taught. He is an example of how to live one's life with gusto and serves as a great example of how every single one of us, no matter what our station in life, can make a positive difference in the world around us.