Thursday, October 25, 2012

Observations 8

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Thus we see everything from a different perspective and with different purpose than normal folks.

Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • A couple was crossing a busy intersection pushing a baby carriage. Normally the turning traffic would wait for them to get across the road, but two drivers in their selfish haste pushed right on through. One passed in front of the couple, the other simultaneously passed behind the couple.
  • A performing arts center that is part of a university in my town has put up a banner advertising upcoming performances. Jackson Browne, Emmy Lou Harris, and Liza Minnelli. The pictures on the banner were each from the 1970s heydays of the different artists instead of current pictures.
  • As I was walking into the grocery store the other day I saw a gang of street toughs on bicycles hassling a man walking into the store. Each of the ruffians inexplicably was carrying a plastic bag containing aquarium fish.
  • I have reason to believe that my last church "shared" my personal information with several companies. If true, I think this is definitely sketchy behavior that marks a breach of trust.
  • When folks move into a new township, that information is often made available in a public forum. Sales folks pounce on these lists and immediately start sending mailings out to you. When I moved into my new place several years back, my name must have been typed into the "system" incorrectly. I still regularly receive mail with my first name listed as Dandyl.