Thursday, October 11, 2012

Food Touching

When I was a teenager, I used to be a regular viewer of T.V. chef Julia Child on her PBS show, The French Chef. Her culinary style was not based on pretentious or stylized presentations. Simple food, simply prepared with a minimum of muss and fuss. I remember that in several interviews she stated that she did not particularly care for eating fancy food, meticulously laid out in an artful presentation on her plate. Her reasoning was that this likely meant that somebody had been doing far too much touching of her food. In this I am wholly in agreement with the late Mrs. Child.

I still watch my share of cooking shows on the tellie. I can tell you that it really turns me off to see T.V. chefs with dirty fingernails and nasty looking hands getting anywhere near a kitchen. What about those who are always double-dipping with their tasting spoons or sticking their disgusting fingers in the food that is about to be served to their guests? Yuk. Given the number of folks who go to the bathroom and leave without a single thought of washing their hands, I don't want any part of any hand-formed, hand-tossed food. So those restaurants who dress their ads up with such verbage, please stop. You are driving me further away from your establishments.