Friday, April 8, 2011

To Where?

I just got back from a trip to Columbia, SC and had a few-hour layover in Charlotte, NC on my way back home. I strolled past gate after gate, from E1 to E50 and back again, each with a waiting area filled with folks from all walks of life. Some young, some old. Some seasoned travelers, some first-time fliers. Some filled with excitement about their upcoming trip, and some just weathering the hours until they get back home. Myriad stories, a sea of humanity.

I love to watch the children as they bounce around with energy to spare, barely containing their enthusiasm. I am moved when I see young couples sharing a moment of their lives that is building their history together. I can get choked up seeing moms and dads talking on the phone with their children, both missing their usual routine. I smile to myself to see spouses checking in with their mates and sharing a laugh over the day's events.

As I wandered about the concourse I saw so many people boarding planes to somewhere. It always make me wonder where they are going and what lies ahead for them. Folks on their way to somewhere. Weddings, funerals, business trips, vacations. Each individual with their own story to tell.