Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grind My Gears 20

I'm not one to "profile" based on stereotypes, but I must make a strong statement in this case because it needs to be done. Consider it a public service on my part. My gift to you. Over the past, oh I don't know, two weeks (or it could have been the last 25 years), I have noted two specific types of apparel that are consistently worn out of their proper context and that men who wear these items tend to be quite full of themselves. They tend to be the sort of dude who purposely overloads their Denny's food platters with excessive jalapeno peppers or tabasco sauce just to make everyone take notice of them. If they do not get sufficient attention from this, they resort to making whooping noises loud enough to shake the walls. "Woo-wee and boy howdy, I sure am manly! Whoop!" They believe themselves to be uber-cool, in a class with James Dean or Chuck Woolery. They are God's gift to us plain and simple, and if you don't think so, you merely have to ask them. These folks just grind my gears.

The apparel to which I am referring (as if you couldn't already figure it out) consists of either a trench coat or western-style boots. (And I don't even want to think about the type of "he-man" who would dare double up and sport both offending items.) Now let me make two scientific observations:
  1. I have never met a man who wore an open trench coat who wasn't either a Jesse James-type desperado or who didn't get all tingly and moist when looking at himself in a full-length mirror.
  2. I have never met a man who wore western-style boots that wasn't either a dogie-ropin', dirt-munchin', lasso-swinging cowboy, or a person who loved to count and then part his chest hairs.
So, if you are not either a true gunslinger, with your wanted poster hanging in the local saloon and a three-day growth of stubble, or a clump-kickin', cow-patty-wrangling cowboy with a 10-gallon Stetson hat that is tipped slightly sideways on your head, then I am speaking to you. If you are under 15 years of age, you're off the hook. If you are over 35 years of age, you are likely too old to be of any use to society anyway. The rest of you jackwagons, just stop it. Put that stuff away. My gears get ground enough as it is.