Monday, April 26, 2010

Things To Talk About

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood ran on PBS from 1967 to 2001. I would guess that most people know who Fred Rogers was and can even tell you a thing or two about the show he produced. Perhaps a character they remember or one of the puppets or the little red trolley. I remember watching Mister Rogers on PBS when I was a kid in the 1970s and I remember watching him a few times with my little one when she was just a toddler. To me this show was always a bit dour, a bit old fashioned and corny, and perhaps a bit too black and white in a color world. However, given my long history with the show, it holds a special place in my heart. It causes me to look back and reflect.

You may remember the song that Mister Rogers sang at the end of every show as he changed from his sneakers to his loafers and took off his sweater and put on his sports jacket. Part of the lyrics went:

And I'll be back when the day is new
And I'll have more ideas for you
And you'll have things you'll want to talk about
I will too


These words ran through my mind the other day after I picked up my young daughter from school. We had not seen each other for a few days. We were both excited to see each other and as we usually do when we come back together, we try to make up for lost time by catching up on the news and highlights and funny happenings in our lives since we were last together. She has things she'll want to talk about, I will too. Thanks Mister Rogers.