Monday, April 5, 2010

Flowering Trees

One of my favorite aspects of spring time is the blossoming of the flowering trees. One week they are lifeless and sharp, then after a few days of warmth and sunshine, the task that they have been charged with since the start of winter bursts forth. Delicious and delicate whites and pinks. They are a treat for the senses. They are a sign of the coming warm season, that winter is over, that Jack Frost has moved away, for a time. Some years the beautiful flowers linger for a few weeks until the emergent leaves sprout forth and take command. Other years a sharp springtime rain or wind storm takes this gift away prematurely. When this happens, I am left feeling cheated somehow.

This year, I am lucky enough to have several flowering trees in my yard, and I am enjoying their presence and their sweet aroma. They are a wonderful gift of the season. Welcome back.