Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Forward

Today I had a taste. It was sweet and good. Sticky juices ran down my chin. I knew that I would enjoy this, but it caught me a bit by surprise in that it's just been so long. Walking outside in the bright sunlight, a warm breeze blew past me. It told me in gentle but sure tones that my journey through the harsh, bitter season was coming to a close. Browns, grays, and blacks were starting to be overtaken by greens, pinks, and yellows. Signs of birth and life and newness finally appearing. Kind of defrosts a hardened mind and body. Time to start cleaning up the yard, preparing the flower beds, and getting ready to invite the outdoors back into life. No more bundled up muttering, no more icy shivers of despair, no more dark mornings and dark afternoons. Today I had a taste. It was sweet and good.