Saturday, March 27, 2010

Prison Cell

Sometimes I am surprised at how widespread cell phones have become. It seems that everyone everywhere has one of these units strapped to their sides. People have become completely enamored with this technology. It has come to rule the lives of many. They would sooner choose to have their left arm chopped off with a rusty meat cleaver than go a day without their phones. Everywhere you look you see folks distracted by them. In malls, in supermarkets, walking down the street, while driving their vehicles.

I am not immune to the lure of this siren. It goes with me everywhere. I would feel almost naked without it. I tell myself that it is an essential expense in case of emergency. It enables my daughter to contact me at any time. It enables me to stay in contact with folks at work or friends who might need to chat with me. All of this is well and good, but there is something that I don't quite understand. I have owned two cell phones in my years. Both seem to be total pieces of garbage. I have the feeling that I would get better audio quality employing two tin cans connected by a long string. I can never hear what anyone is saying and nobody ever seems to understand what I am saying. You might say that I am just simply using substandard equipment. However, I have even tried using high-end phones from my friends and find no difference in voice clarity. I am left frustrated every time I try to make a call. I then really question why this technology has burgeoned into what it is today. Is my problem with my phone, the area where I live, the phase of the moon, or planetary syzygy? Perhaps it is the folks that I am trying to talk to? What gives? What am I missing?