Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cookie Jar

I see the porcelain jar sitting on top of the fridge. The raised letters on its face and its bright pattern somehow pull me in. COOKIES. I don't know how many times that I have been told that the contents of this jar are forbidden, totally off limits. No, no, no. Clearly these words have not registered, and I'm certain it's not because I'm an anarchist. Sometimes when folks hear "no", it just drives them do "it" anyway. No, I want what is in that jar because I have tasted the sweet and delicious goodness of what lies inside. I know how good it can be when things are right. The more I think about it, the more I want it. The more I want it, the more I think about it. In the world of electronics, this is referred to as a positive feedback loop. Actually, given the usage of the phrase in our culture, the type of positive feedback that I am alluding to is actually a negative. It toys with my mind and my body. It tosses me around like a rag doll in the mouth of a rabid dog. It makes me want to do things that have cost me dearly in the past. I try to convince myself that I just need a small taste. What harm could it really do? I have learned from my past mistakes. What is so wrong? I won't let it take over my life again and destroy the foundation that I am working so hard to lay down. It's not that big a deal. After all, I'm just talking about COOKIES, right?