Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Role Model

Charles Barkley once famously stated "I am not a role model". At the time I remember that there was a lot of clucking of tongues about how professional atheletes are supposed to be paragons of virtue as all the little children look up to them and try to emulate them. There was a lot of negative publicity directed towards Mr. Barkley and his image as an iconic bad boy was all the more solidified. At the time, I understood what he was saying to all of us through the press. He was just a professional athelete, and he did not sign up for any angel duty. He just wanted to be left alone and allowed to be himself, good or bad. Personally, I don't think that any one of us would like to have to live in the bright spotlight of attention all the time, with every move that we made analyzed and discussed and kibitzed over by finger-wagging pundits. I know for me, that I would not hold up under the bright lights. I also fear that I would be judged and labeled by my worst moments. However, with this said, I take my role as a father very seriously with regards to the example that I set for my daughter. I want her to see a stable man with good values who loves her with all his heart. A father who is always there to watch over her, support her unconditionally, protect her from harm, and to laugh and sing with her. I want my teachings and advice to be reflective of the actual life that I lead. I know that to her, I am a very important role model. I also fully understand that this is a responsibility that I must maintain and uphold even when she is not there, not watching me.