Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Am None of Them

Now there's a man I admire. He always seems to be the person that everyone else gravitates toward. He seems to know everyone and everyone seems to know him. He has a style and charisma that makes you want to be accepted by him, somehow adopted into his inner circle. The other day, I came up behind him as he was focussed on a problem that had him perplexed. I said hello, trying not to appear nervous or awkward. He looked at me with his brow wrinkled and said "David, these budget codes are a real pain". I muttered something to acknowledge his point. He went on, "You know Darren, I have been at this for more than 10 years and I still can't figure this stuff out.". He paused to shift some papers around and then added "Donald, do you have to deal with this crap in your department?". He then appeared to have just figured something out, and he turned to me and shook my hand and said "Dale, thanks so much, you've been a great help.". He then gathered his stuff and hurried off without another look in my direction. I had not done or said anything, and to my knowledge neither had David, Darren, Donald, or Dale, whoever they were. I was standing there alone. Moments ago I thought this guy was it. Now I can't remember for the life of me what I saw in him. I went back to work. A important life lesson learned about the dangers of looking too much for approval from others and letting them define your self image.