Monday, February 16, 2009

Scared of my Shadow

Me and my shadow
Strolling down the avenue
Me and my shadow
Not a soul to tell our troubles to ...


I am a very jumpy person. This is a condition that I have known about since I was a very young person. If anyone comes up behind me and taps me on the shoulder or makes a loud noise, my first reaction is to make an odd-sounding yelping noise and my second reaction is to soil myself. I assure you that both reactions are immediate and totally involuntary (most of the time). My reactions seem like those of a man on the run from the law. I can't explain the feelings that come over me. My pulse rate instantly triples, I turn pale, I jump through the roof in a very cartoonish manner (think Shaggy whenever he was suddenly face to face with a gh-gh-gh-ghost!!!). I know that my clearly audible yelps have caused those that witness my odd over-reaction-type behavior to walk away shaking their heads at me. Try as I might to condition myself to act more controlled in such situations, I cannot. Nothing ever seems to change (except my pants, of course). Just moments ago I was pushing opening a door to walk outside and someone on the outside was simultaneously pulling open the door. I let out a distinct gasp that echoed in the entryway and I reached for my chest. The person's response was "scared ya huh?". There was no way that I could recover my cool and suave demeanor. Man I hate that feeling. What can I do to get past this? Any advice would be most appreciated.