Wednesday, April 15, 2015

iTunes Latest - 25

I have been a user of iTunes since 2011. This service has allowed me to bring music back into my world and to reconnect with so many great songs from my past. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or moment in my life. I have also found that every now and then a recent song inspires me. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my thoughts on each song.
  • Feel it Again - Honeymoon Suite (1986) - In the last few months I have been digging on this band from my past. Way back in my early college years they were big on the FM dial. This nugget is typical of their style and their attitude. It provides the perfect impetus to energize me.
  • Under the Rose - Kiss (1981) - In the late 70s, Kiss, once the most popular band in the world, was on the decline. In their release Music from The Elder they tried a gimmick, namely writing the soundtrack to a fictional movie of the Lord of the Rings genre. The release was considered as a major flop, not because its musical selections or artistry were second rate, but because Kiss was viewed as a straight ahead rock band. However, this tune with its haunting, chanting refrain is pure gold.
  • You Don't Have to Prove Yourself - The Fixx (2003) - In 1983 Fixx album Reach the Beach came out and I fell in love with it. However, it is the only album of this band that I ever owned. The Fixx kind of fell off the map is the late 80s even though they have released new albums in each decade since then. I came across this gem from their 2003 release Want that Life that reminded me why this band once pulled me in with their sound and their musical choices.
  • Keep it on the Inside - Matthew Perryman (2014) - I recently read the Donald Miller book Scary Close and it came with its own well done music soundtrack. This piece is all about fighting back from the demons that always seem to be pulling us down.
  • On Every Street - Dire Straits (1990) - Mark Knopfler has a way of pulling me in with his guitar work. He doesn't just produce noise and wasted energy. Each strum, each pluck gives rise to a vibe that somehow makes me part of the tune. This gem is about the one who touched our heart in the moment but disappeared before we could let the taste dissipate.