Wednesday, April 8, 2015

1800

I am presently in my eighth year of writing this blog and most of the time I have no trouble finding things to talk about. Over the past couple of years the content on this site has been subtly changing. Whereas I used to write a lot more pieces exploring a given topic or feeling, I knew that I could not sustain that pace. I am reminded of a line from the Creedance Clearwater Revival song Lodi, "somewhere I lost connections, ran out of songs to play". So to keep up with the relentless schedule, I moved to more "automated" regular pieces, such as my Friday book reviews or my regular Observations series. While not meant to be particularly heady or heavy, they have been fun to write and have also served to give me fodder for posting.

Over the past couple of years, I have watched the bloom fall from the rose in the world of blogging. It does not seem to be as trendy a thing to do anymore. Several folks who I used to follow abruptly stopped posting and our relationships ended equally as abruptly. It is a bit melancholy when what was once a fun hobby marked by expression, passion, playfulness, and attention, has become either a bland habit or a thankless chore. I guess that old John Fogerty song kind of hit the nail on the head in that we all run out of songs to play.

Yesterday I marked post number 1800 on my site. My goal, for no particular reason other than the appreciation of round numbers, has been to last until post number 2000 and retire. Who knows if I will make it that far or if I will continue on beyond that. For now, I just wanted to pause and reflect on eight years in the business and 1800 posts. I also wanted to thank my regular visitors who have been kind to me with their time and their interactions.