Monday, April 21, 2014

iTunes Latest - 18

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music
is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my thoughts on each song.
  • U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer (1990) - This song has always put an uncontrollable bounce in my step. Back when it came out, Hammer was trying to stake his claim that he was the biggest hit producer alive, even bigger than MJ! History would show he was little more than a one-hit wonder, but this song amounts to a pretty good legacy. ... Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hype feet.
  • Alone Again - Dokken (1984) - This song is a yearning, painful ode to lost love with a hard rock bent. A nearly perfect offering delivered with tenderness and longing. Absolutely one of my favorites.
  • Who Will Stop the Rain? - Asia (1992) - The title may remind you of CCR, but this delicious piece of harmony and keyboard is something quite different. This song has a vibe that reminds me of what you might get if you crossed the band Yes with ELO. An environmental-tinged progressive rock piece to bring out your inner tree hugger.
  • Behind the Mask - Fleetwood Mac (1990) - I have long been a fan of Fleetwood Mac. Their Rumors album from 1977 still plays tricks on my mind given its strong association to my adolescence. This song from their 1990 album of the same name did not include Lindsey Buckingham as a member of the group. However, Lindsey did contribute his unmistakable acoustic guitar to this one. This Christine McVie number is a strong piece with a haunting melody. Angel in black, I recognize the shadows from your past.
  • Friend - Christine McVie (2004) - McVie's work on her 2004 solo album was the reason why she did not participate in Fleetwood Mac's 2003 Say You Will. This song is a gem about the pain of being alone and longing for relationships that have since crumbled to dust.