Thursday, April 4, 2013

iTunes Latest - 11

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Too Late Marlene - Duran Duran (1988) - In the early 1980s, Duran Duran was probably my favorite band. I think their image and style made as much an impression on me as their dance-able music. By the late 1980s, the shine on their star had faded noticeably. This song was from their Big Thing album. This ballad was one that I enjoyed back in the day. Based on that, I added it to my playlist.
  • Drug (It's Just a State of Mind) - Duran Duran (1988) - Another song from Big Thing. I'm not sure the song has aged well, as I remember liking it much more when I played it 25 years ago.
  • Today - Dokken (2012) - There are some songs by Dokken that I absolutely love. As Mr. Dokken has lived the rock 'n roll lifestyle and has had some serious recent throat problems, he doesn't rock like he used to. However, this recent ballad is both haunting and lovely.
  • I Want You Back - NSYNC (1996) - I was always a bigger fan of Backstreet Boys back when they were going head-to-head with NSYNC. However, this song has a style and flair to it that I have really embraced. It is a perfect song to listen to when I exercise.
  • Awake My Soul - Chris Tomlin (2013) - My friend Stephen who leads the worship music at my church, introduced me to this one. I like Stephen's straightforward version of this song better than the original, but I still thought this would be good for a few plays.