I think this point is one that we would do well do consider in many areas of our lives.
- How often have we beaten ourselves up over periods where we are physically and intellectually unmotivated? Why can't we get up off the couch today? Why can't we come up with any creative ideas?
- How often have we tried to develop spiritual disciplines of reading the Bible, setting aside a certain period of time each day for prayer and reflection, only to come down hard on ourselves when we have seasons where we are distracted or overly busy and neglect our faith?
- How often have we had trouble in relationships where we have instances in which we lack in attentiveness or focus? We can so easy get down on ourselves in such times.
- How often have we felt incredible guilt over a purchase that we made that was not within our budget? It doesn't matter how well we have been keeping our eye on our finances or how well our debt is being paid off. One splurge in a moment of weakness and we kick ourselves again and again.
- How often have been kept control of our lust and done well guarding our eyes and our thoughts, only to wreck ourselves over a momentary lapse of control?