Thursday, June 28, 2012

Victory

Yesterday on my way home I pulled up to a red light at an intersection. Due to the timing and the flow of traffic, I was the first in line in my lane. The four-way intersection happened to be at the crossing of two divided highways. On the island that split the lanes of the road next to me there is a certain spot that is frequented by panhandlers and others down on their luck. They are usually holding crude cardboard signs that say things like "Out of work - need money for rent." or "Please help I need money." From the looks on their faces, most often you can tell that these are desperate folks who hate standing out there with every fiber of their being. They are proud yet broken, pushed to a place that they never could have imagined.

As I sat idling, waiting for the light to change, a man in his late 20s was standing at the intersection with his cardboard sign. I had seen him in that same spot earlier in the week. Two or three cars went through the intersection passing right by him. Another car pulled up and stopped next to him. The lady in the car reached into her passenger's seat and handed the man an oversized envelope. I think he meant to take it and set it next to him, but the lady began talking to him. I could not hear what she said, but I saw the man nod his head once, then twice. She reached out and took his hand. For a moment I was perplexed, but then they both nodded their heads and she prayed over him. It was such a beautiful sight that it brought tears to my eyes. I saw there a true demonstration of godliness. A wonderful reflection of what Jesus has asked of each of us. All of this at an intersection along a boulevard called Victory. Fitting name.