Tuesday, June 26, 2012

iTunes Latest - 1

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This is a music service that let's you purchase entire albums of music, or just a single song. You find what you want, click a button, and a few seconds later the songs are digitally downloaded to your computer. When I was younger, in fact right up through my early to mid-20s, music was an important part of my life. I listened to help me relax and unwind. Then for a long spell, it was absent. However, a few years ago as I began to exercise regularly, music made a retun to my life. Now I could not imagine doing my workout with my music.

One of the things that I really like about music is that oftentimes a given song has a strong association with a season or a moment in my life. As the playlist moves from song to song, I find myself whisked from one point in my past to another. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac (1973) - This song became engrained in my mind back in my pre-teen days listening to the local AM hits station on my small transistor radio. I purchased this recently upon hearing the news that Bob Welch committed suicide.
  • Goodbye is Forever - Arcadia (1986) - I was a big fan of Duran Duran when they first came to the U.S. in 1981. A few years later there was a bit of turmoil within the group and they decided to go off and do some separate work. Arcadia was formed from one of the factions. I bought this album on cassette, one of my first music purchases when I was in college. I wore this tape out it was played so many times.
  • Communication - Power Station (1985) - This song came from the second Duran Duran split faction and featured the late Robert Palmer on lead. I remember staying up late in the student union building to watch them on Saturday Night Live in February 1985. This song has a vibe to it that just gets into my bones.
  • Driver's Seat - Sniff'n the Tears (1978) - Another song from back in my old AM transistor radio days. It came out back when I was in middle school. I can still see my old math teacher pantomiming to this one. It can instantly transport me back to my old room, where my whole live was ahead of me and all of my dreams were still intact.
  • When Doves Cry - Prince (1984) - This song was popular with several of the "cool" guys on my hall in my freshman dorm at college. I remember Vince had painted those stylized eyes on the wall over his bed. I think that I admitted to liking Prince more than I really did to fit in, but this song was always one that I could listen to over and over.