Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ray of Light

It's been a long day at work. I woke up in complete darkness and am driving home in more of the same. I heard it was a nice day today, but this one completely slipped past me. I got done what I had to get done. Always some new pressing deadline to meet. Always too little time. I worked not out of joy, but out of duty. I have had more than enough. I am bone weary and every muscle in my body is overcome with fatigue. My mind is completely fried. I have given all that I had within me. I have a nagging headache and an extreme case of the grumbles.

I pull into the driveway to a cold, dark, unwelcoming house. To add insult to injury, the smell of a neighbor's grilling dinner wraps around my head. I am more than a bit jealous. I am way too tired to even consider more than grabbing something quick to eat and chowing it down in front of the television. After fumbling with the keys trying to find the lock on the door, I fall into the front entryway and hit the first light switch my desperate hand can find. I grab the remote and hit the power button. At least I will have some company. Nope, spoke too soon, cable's out. Dang. I stumble into the kitchen and open the fridge. Not a bit of food to be found. I am way too tired to head back out. I start to consider just throwing in the towel and going to bed. I know the evening's young, but nothing is going my way. Michael told me that withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.

I walk into the bathroom to rinse my face when I meet the stare of my glassy-eyed, gaunt reflection. He has no comfort to provide, no answers. Just then my phone rings. ... Hello? ... Angel face! How was your day? .... Yeah? Tell me about it ... I can't wait to see you tomorrow .... That ray of light pierced me and I came back to the world. Beaming, laughing, excited for more. Yeah from time to time I let the blahs take root in my mind, take control of me, and take me away. A gentle reminder of my blessings is the perfect remedy to bring me back.