Thursday, May 6, 2010

Purpose Driven Life

I recently finished The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. For some reason, I was a bit apprehensive about reading this book. Perhaps because emblazoned across the front jacket, it proclaimed that this was the biggest selling non-fiction book in history (strange that it did not mention the Bible). More than 30 million copies have been sold around the world. For some strange reason I was concerned that if the book was that popular, it had to be that it had something impactful to teach me and impart to me. I just wondered if this book was all that it was jacked up to be. Would its words speak to me, empower me, lift me, embrace me, convict me, or teach me? The only way to find out was just to dive in.

I should say that in my five-star rating system, I rated this book only 3 out of 5 stars. In my opinion, this was a good, solid read with sound teaching and practical advice that was a totally accurate representation of scripture. However, there was nothing that elevated this book beyond any of a host of other Christian living/self-help books out on the market. One of the blurbs on the back of the book said "The epicenter of a spiritual shockwave taking root across America ... It's more than a book; it has become a movement." Hmmm, seems a bit much, but if this book brings folks to know God and live for him for the right reasons, wonderful.

The book is divided into 40 chapters, meant to be digested one at a time over a period of 40 days. Each chapter tackles one kernel of truth and helps us to understand why it is important in our lives. This 40-day journey through The Purpose Driven Life is designed to help each of us know God's purpose for our lives and how we fit into God's big picture. The goal is to help us understand who we are (our identity), why we matter (our importance), and what our place in life is supposed to be (our impact). The chapters are divided into major sections that include:
  • What on Earth am I Here For?
  • Purpose #1: You were planned for God's pleasure.
  • Purpose #2: You were formed for God's family.
  • Purpose #3: You were created to become like Christ.
  • Purpose #4: You were shaped for serving God.
  • Purpose #5: You were made for a mission.
The Purpose Driven Life because of its popularity and reach was something that drew me in to find out more about its message. However, it's style and digest-ability made it a very enjoyable read that allowed me to take it as far as my spirit and curiosity wanted.