Thursday, August 27, 2009

Razor Stubble

Hey, so what's the deal with shaving? ... Sounds like the beginning of an old Seinfeld monologue. Truthfully though, what is the deal with shaving? I think that I shave in the same rational manner each morning, going over the appropriate areas of my face with care and attention. Heck, most mornings I even take the time to look in the mirror after I am done to be sure that I have not missed anything. However, I have noticed that every once in a while I can find a bit later in the day that I seem to have missed huge sections of my cheeks or neck or chin. Wait, wait, wait! This is not possible. I distinctly remember going over these various and sundry areas with great care. Is it possible that I am losing my mind? Did I have a sudden beard hair growth spurt in isolated areas of my face? No, certainly not. Did I forget to turn my razor on? Of course not you lug nut, I use a disposable razor that indeed is "Good News". Maybe I used the wrong end of the razor or was holding the razor backwards or forgot to take off the miniature sneeze guard on the twin-blade. These suggestions are absurd, do you take me for a turnip?

I can't help but wondering what other people think when they look at my face when this sort of follicular incident happens. They see something about me that is quite obvious to everyone, but it is something I have missed entirely. This notion resonated with me as I have recently been talking with folks in my Waters Edge Church Community Group about having people in your life to whom you can be accountable. Folks who know what is going on with you, with whom you can share your deepest thoughts and concerns and problems and anxieties, and can give you Godly advice and feedback. Folks who can call you out when they see you heading for trouble. They can see danger signs and warnings that we may have missed entirely. If you don't have one or two of these folks in your life, it is imperative that you find them. Funny how a little bit of razor stubble can get the gears to turning in your mind.