Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fun with Meat

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the entrepreneurial spirit. Clever people, coming up with intriguing, fresh, and useful ideas and/or gadgets that they can put into the marketplace, make a buck or two, and finally be able to afford a big american car with tail fins. I am sure, however, that the tone of today's blog might appear to belie my opening statement. However, if you think about my words, I mean really rub them all over the roof of your mouth, I am certain that you will ultimately agree with me, unless you are some sort of bed-wetting anarchist.

Let me get into what set me off. I was listening to the radio the other day on my way into work and came across a man who was putting his financial future on the line for what may be the stupidest idea ever dreamed up by man, or maybe more appropriately, the stupidest idea ever dreamed up by a man. Straight from his web site I quote:

Meat Cards: Business cards made from meat and lasers!

Their web site goes on to claim that "unlike other business cards, meat cards will retain value after the econpocalypse. Hoard and barter your calorie-rich, life-sustaining cards" and "their deliciousness cannot be contained by a Rolodex". When it was pointed out on the air that the whole point of business cards is to have some sort of lasting contact information for future reference, the plucky inventor shrugged this off. He stated (in a rather laid back manner) that nobody keeps standard business cards anyway, at least with a meat card, they will have something to remember you by, err, unless they eat your information as a snack. My friends, is this the sort of idea for which people should be able to profit? If this is a meat-tastic success, what's next? Tax forms printed on bread? Furniture made from pizza? Sponsorship labels on racing cars? Please, for the sake of all of our collective sanity, do not get the itch for this sort of product by specifically avoiding the meat cards website.