Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Review


The year 2008 A.D. has been a productive year for me in terms of personal growth and happiness, in marked contrast to the previous two years. I have been compiling a list of things that have happened to me this year that I wanted to share. They are listed in no particular order, just as they streamed into my consciousness. If you had a positive or negative year overall, make definitive plans for how to take steps in the right direction in those areas of your life that are not where you want them to be. Then, take the first step. Good luck. Here, without further delay, is my list.
  1. Stopped smoking,
  2. Found a church,
  3. Joined a small group,
  4. Gotten involved in my church,
  5. Read over 30 books,
  6. Did significant volunteer work,
  7. Greatly increased my giving,
  8. No illicit sex with strangers,
  9. Made some friends,
  10. Learned to accept myself,
  11. Forgave my ex-wife,
  12. Forgave myself,
  13. Completed counseling,
  14. Came back toward equilibrium,
  15. Stopped drinking,
  16. Strengthened my relationship with my daughter,
  17. Looking for love,
  18. Came to terms with my position in life,
  19. Survived a fourth recurrence of my cancer,
  20. Started and continued on an exercise program,
  21. Had knee surgery,
  22. Lost 12 pounds (and counting),
  23. Strengthened my relationship with God,
  24. Developed some hobbies for the first time since I was a kid,
  25. Realized that work is not the most important thing in my life.
Each entry on this list, while comprised only of a few words, involved a lot of determination and hard work to deal with or overcome or move past the problem. All of the glory for my successes in each area belong to God and I give my love to those that helped me along the way (you know who you are). Here's hoping for continued success and growth in 2009. Peace be with you.