Thursday, September 24, 2015

Quick Hits 43

Sometimes I hear an utterance or catch a quick visual of something that sticks in my mind. As this sensory input rolls about in my head, several different outcomes are possible. It might be the case that after a moment of consideration, the input is deleted as uninteresting, trivial, or too much for me to deal with. However, another possible outcome is that the input keeps demanding my attention. It somehow wants me to wrestle with it and give it more than just a passing notice. In such cases, they can end up here, in my blog series called Quick Hits.

There was an episode of the old Star Trek series where a race of people with white on one side of their face and black on the other, tried to oppress a race of people that were identical but with the white side and black side of their faces reversed. This proved to show how arbitrary and absurd we are with our discrimination and prejudice. So why is it that guys with hair on top of their heads and missing on the sides (labeled as a mohawk) are accepted as tough and virile, while guys with hair on the sides of their heads and missing on the top (labeled as bald) are marginalized as wimpy and uncool?

What do you think?