Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Observations 105

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • The following was written in Matthew Henry's diary the night he was robbed: "Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed."
  • I ran across a quote by Larry Osbourne that resonated with me, "God draws straight lines with crooked sticks."
  • I purchased a laundry stick in part recently because it said on the top in a jaunty font, "Stain-grabbing nubs." That notion quickly inserted an inane picture into my head that I couldn't walk away from.
  • Steve Sarkisian, head football coach at USC, recently made a complete fool of himself at a booster's meeting. He was drunk and mouthed off at the podium, creating quite a scene. When asked later if he had a drinking problem, he said he wasn't sure and that he was going to get tested. To this reply, I can only say, "what?".
  • In a major "oh crap" moment, a Taiwanese school boy on a field trip to an art museum with his class stumbled as he was walking. As he reached to steady himself, he put his hand right through a painting valued at $1.5M.