Thursday, June 11, 2015

Observations 93

My occasional blog series "Observations" was created to be an outlet to share a variety of topics that pop into my field of view as a result of a condition that many bloggers are afflicted with known as "blogger's eyes". In this state we view the world on the constant look-out for topics on which to write about. Today's blog came about from random odds 'n ends of things that I have noticed over the past few weeks.
  • My across-the-street neighbor is a morbidly obese old man who loves to ride around the street in front of his house on his riding lawn mower wearing only the skimpiest of shorts. It is the rare trifecta of disgusting, obscene, and fascinating all at the same time.
  • Back in the mid-80s it seemed like every pop song included a saxophone solo. After a couple of years the fad abruptly ended and the instrument has been all but forgotten about. If my memory serves, this was the same fate suffered by the glockenspiel back in the 30s.
  • When the angel of death came for Nora Beady she was incredulous. She just refused to believe that her time was up, after all, she consciencously pep-steps around the mall on weekends.
  • If you are a respected member of your workplace but are underpaid, really the only way to go about getting a raise is to have another company provide you with a job offer. Any other method to request a raise will only get you labeled as a whiner.
  • If you are trying to complement someone on their work, the expression is properly stated as, "I couldn't have done a better job myself", not "I could have done a better job myself."