From the notes that I took during my reading, there were some nuggets that I wanted to share.
- When we approach God casually, as if he were some sort of cosmic buddy ... we demonstrate a dangerous misunderstanding about his nature.
- We need intimacy with Christ - and reverence for him.
- Instead of treating him (God) as an equal, we (need to) approach him with reverent awe.
- We are sideliners - criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged.
- Only when we gain a proper understanding of God's identity can we begin to appreciate the implications of his love.
- Inevitably we project our biases and wishes heavenward and end up with a god who looks suspiciously familiar, a god made in our own image. We end up bowing before the mirror.