Thursday, August 16, 2012

iTunes Latest - 4

Back in December of 2011, I finally discovered iTunes on my Mac. This service has really helped me to reconnect with my love of music. One of the things that I really like about music is that so often a given song has a strong association with a time or with a moment in my life. So, I thought that I would share my latest five downloads and a bit about my history with each song.
  • Too Late - Asia (1985) - The band Asia was on their downside when they released the album Astra. I can't fully explain why I liked this song, but it worked for me back when I was in college and I still enjoy it today.
  • When You Love Someone - RTZ (1999) - This is the band that gave me the name of this blog and I am a fan of Brad Delp, the lead singer of RTZ. It seemed right that I should have the only RTZ song that I like on my play list. This is a great piece of work and Barry Goudreau's guitar is sublime.
  • Hollyann - Boston (1986) - I have been on a bit of a Boston kick lately. This is another excellent composition off the album Third Stage that has Tom Scholz' trademark Rockman amplifier sound.
  • Soon - Tanya Tucker (1993) - I remember sitting in the dinette area of my small apartment when I was in graduate school recopying some homework while listening to my stereo. For a while, I went through a bit of a country music phase (Eagle Country 99.3 FM). One evening this song by a young singer came on the radio that touched me with its heart and sultry melancholy. It just gave me tingles. It still does.
  • Like an Avalanche - Hillsong United (2011) - I first heard this song a couple of months ago sung by Brooke and Stephen Haggerty at my church. It pulled me in and touched my heart. Their version blows the doors off this version by the original artist, but this one is still enjoyable.